I had a comp day on Friday due to two twelve hour days of parent-teacher conferences last week. Charly and I decided to take advantage of the long weekend and head off to Dinosaur National Monument which is in Eastern Utah near Vernal.
We stayed in Vernal which was about 20 miles from the Fossil Bone Quarry part of Dinosaur National Monument.
This is the visitor's center of Dinosaur National Monument. The stegosaurus model in front of the visitor's center was in the New York World's Fair in 1964. We started our visit to the national monument here. We also went to the quarry exhibit where dinosaur fossils are displayed exactly where and how they were found.
The quarry exhibit was really cool. Fossils of Dinosaur bones were discovered in this area in the early 1900s. The quarry building is built over part of a mountain where visitors can see the original placement of the dinosaur bones.
This is what this unique quarry exhibit looks like from the outside. It was so interesting to see the fossils still in the mountain, as well as other fossils that have been excavated and displayed as skeletons.
We also went to the Utah Field House of Natural History State Park Museum to see even more fossils. I went to this museum, when it was much smaller and so was I. I was a little girl when my parents took me to this museum to see the dinosaur bones and I had good memories of it. It was fun to see the new and much larger museum.
We went on three hikes at the national monument preserve. The first one was the Fossil Discovery Trail. We did this hike in the evening of the first day we were there. This hike went from the visitor's center up to the quarry building.
Saturday morning, we did this over two mile hike - the Desert Voices Trail. It was a perfect fall day to do this lovely, scenic hike. There was a lot of lovely colored foliage along the trail.
On Saturday evening, we did one more hike, which was probably our favorite. It was a beautiful, short trail called the Box Canyon Trail. This little trail went through a wooded area right up into a box canyon. I did this hike once by myself while Charly rested, then I convinced Charly to come with me and we did the hike together.
This historic and completely original cabin was near the Box Canyon Trail. This cabin was built on homesteaded land in the early 1900s by Josie Bassett, a divorced mother of four grown children. She built the cabin when she was forty lived in it by herself for over 50 years, until 1964 when she was 90 years old. The cabin is completely original and unrestored, including the old glass-paned windows and dirt floors. The original chicken coop and spring are nearby as well. Charly and I found this to be an absolutely fascinating place and piece of history.
Of course, when we travel, we always like to check out thrift stores in the small towns we visit. We found a few "treasures" to bring home like this cute fall-themed table cloth, which is now on our dining room table.
Charly love metal glasses because they keep drinks cold, but tumblers like this haven't been made since the 1960s. We found these at a thrift store in Vernal for only 50 cents a glass. That's a bargain. One antique store we visited on another trip wanted $10 a glass for tumblers like these.
We arrived home from our long weekend getaway Sunday about noon. Our drive home was a good one. We talked and listened to an audiobook, and enjoyed the gorgeous fall colors in the mountains we drove through. Josh, who had remained home for school and work commitments, had held everything together on the homefront.
Sunday dinner this week was spaghetti and meat sauce with green beans and garlic butter bread. This is an easy to prepare favorite we all enjoy. After dinner, Charly and I went for a walk. After I finish this post, I have some laundry to fold and put away, then I plan to get ready for school tomorrow and I am hoping to do a little reading before bed.
Coming up this week:
Monday - After school appointment
Wednesday - Two family birthday - Charly and our oldest son, Alex
Wednesday - After school appointment at HR to select our benefits for the coming year. This is something we are required to do every fall.
Saturday - My birthday- no big plans at all. Going for a hike would be nice...
Next Sunday - Our daughter-in-law's (Alex's wife) birthday. October is our family birthday month. We have a little granddaughter whose birthday is at the end of the month.
On the to-do list this week:
- Get my health insurance and other work benefits squared away for the coming year.
- Finish and post my September Reading Round-Up.
- Finish the online philosophy class I am taking.
- Wash both of our vehicles.
- Get oil change in our Honda.
- Plan our next trip!
That's all for this post. Thanks for visiting and have a good week!
😊Deb💜
"We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us."
~Anon.




0 Yorumlar