I learned the other day from our local arborist that mature pine and oak trees need to watered. I had always assumed that if we had received adequate rainfall or snow, that their roots went deep enough into the ground to keep them healthy.
I asked him if a once a week watering schedule was sufficient. "No, they need to be watered every other day," he answered. Wow! I had no idea. I had noticed that the trees near my new woodland garden had been looking much healthier, happier and greener. I thought it was the compost and mulch that I had applied. The growth is now very vigorous on the oak leaves. I soak that area every couple of days. It makes sense.
The large trees near the lake look exceptionally beautiful; same with those close to the beach in Ventura. The dryness and lack of water makes in other locations them brittle, stressed and susceptible to disease and beetles.
So, I have a new hobby, forest bathing. That's what the Japanese call spending time in the woods. For now I am irrigating all of the trees on my land by hand. Once I got into the new routine, my whole yard filled up with birds, butterflies and a sense of busy life. The trees immediately responded. I could feel their relief and gratitude.
Do you water your trees?
Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.
0 Yorumlar