THE SECOND MOTHER (QUE HORAS ELA VOLTA)
Cert 15
112 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language
Wow, wow and thrice wow.
For the first ten minutes of watching Anna Muylaert's The Second Mother, I had no concept that I would be acclaiming it as one of the very best films of 2015.
But it is so brilliantly constructed and acted that it soon had me entranced by its spell.
At its heart is the wonderful performance of its lead, Regina Case, who plays a housekeeper to a rich Sao Paulo family.
For years, she has accepted their whims so she can send money back to those bringing up a daughter she has seldom seen.
She has become the primary carer for the son (Michel Joelsas) of self-consumed rich parents (Karine Teles and Lourenco Mutarelli) but accepts her role and gives the youngster all the love she can muster.
All seems in its place until her daughter (Camila Mardila) arrives to take entrance exams at the local university
She cannot understand why her mother kowtows to her employers and, in turn, her mum can't grasp why her daughter doesn't understand the boundaries which have existed between the rich and working class.
This new dynamic is fabulously observed with selfishness and self-esteem two of the personal facets which come under examination.
Case is so good that she could be mistaken for being a real housekeeper in a documentary.
But The Second Mother's success should also be attributed to Muylaert. her writing and directing are pitch perfect.
I would compare The Second Mother to the New Zealand film The Dark Horse, upon which I lavished praise earlier this year, because they were both totally unexpected jewels.
This is also a must-see.
Director Anna Muylaert: "I think this film opens many debates. Women are carrying two weights. It’s not easy to deal with that. I don’t know if they will be ruffled, but I think it’s time to think about how we are going to raise our kids now that women also work. One thing I know, If the fathers helped it would be much better for everyone."
Reasons to watch: Brilliantly acted and though-provoking
Reasons to avoid: I can only think of the slowness of its start
Laughs: a couple of chuckles
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 9.5/10
Cert 15
112 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language
Wow, wow and thrice wow.
For the first ten minutes of watching Anna Muylaert's The Second Mother, I had no concept that I would be acclaiming it as one of the very best films of 2015.
But it is so brilliantly constructed and acted that it soon had me entranced by its spell.
At its heart is the wonderful performance of its lead, Regina Case, who plays a housekeeper to a rich Sao Paulo family.
For years, she has accepted their whims so she can send money back to those bringing up a daughter she has seldom seen.
She has become the primary carer for the son (Michel Joelsas) of self-consumed rich parents (Karine Teles and Lourenco Mutarelli) but accepts her role and gives the youngster all the love she can muster.
All seems in its place until her daughter (Camila Mardila) arrives to take entrance exams at the local university
She cannot understand why her mother kowtows to her employers and, in turn, her mum can't grasp why her daughter doesn't understand the boundaries which have existed between the rich and working class.
This new dynamic is fabulously observed with selfishness and self-esteem two of the personal facets which come under examination.
Case is so good that she could be mistaken for being a real housekeeper in a documentary.
But The Second Mother's success should also be attributed to Muylaert. her writing and directing are pitch perfect.
I would compare The Second Mother to the New Zealand film The Dark Horse, upon which I lavished praise earlier this year, because they were both totally unexpected jewels.
This is also a must-see.
Director Anna Muylaert: "I think this film opens many debates. Women are carrying two weights. It’s not easy to deal with that. I don’t know if they will be ruffled, but I think it’s time to think about how we are going to raise our kids now that women also work. One thing I know, If the fathers helped it would be much better for everyone."
Reasons to watch: Brilliantly acted and though-provoking
Reasons to avoid: I can only think of the slowness of its start
Laughs: a couple of chuckles
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 9.5/10


0 Yorumlar